Thursday 1 December 2022

Scots Arquebusiers


For today's post we have a unit of 24 Scots Arquebusiers, suitable from around 1500 through to 1550. They are from Pete's excellent range of 28mm Scots figures, https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/petes_flags, although these particular sculpts may not be up on the store yet. I am slowly building up forces to game the events of the "Rough Wooing" which these figures are perfect for. As an example at the battle of Haddon Rigg in 1542, Sir Walter Lyndsay, a knight of St John, commanded a Scots Vanguard of 2,000 men comprising 1,000 pike or "spears", 500 hundred archers and 500 arquebusiers. These miniatures will be great for such a battle as well as all the skirmishes and raids that took place in the late 1540s as Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset and Lord Protector of England, attempted to subdue Scotland through a series of garrisons.

Some of the figures wear light armour in the form of jacks and strips of mail on their hose. Some wear steel skulls as headgear whilst others are simply in bonnets. They are really evocative of the era and would also be perfect as English border levies. As you can see from the pictures below the arquebusiers fit in well with the pike/polearms troops already released by Pete as well as the Assault Group mid 16th century miniatures. Both ranges were sculpted by Nick Collier so their compatibility is to be expected. Highlanders are next in the pipeline from Pete and Nick and I am really looking forward to seeing how they turn out https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=petes.flags.5&set=a.608606297389834.

28mm Scots Arquebusiers from Petes Flags.

Early to mid 16th Century Scots Arquebusiers

A close up of the Scots shot.

16th century Scots pike and shot.

A mid 16th century Scots force commanded by George Gordon, the Earl of Huntly.

A 1540s Gordon force.

Scots shot.

28mm 16th century Scots ready to defend the kingdom from HenryVIII's forces.

The Earl of Huntly in command of a Scots force.

 

14 comments:

  1. Great looking arquebusiers, Oli! Enjoy seeing the Scottish army arrayed for a photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan, hopefully I will get them in some games soon.

      Delete
  2. Very nice figures and an excellent paint job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks rross, Pete's figures really are superb.

      Delete
  3. Fine figures and I am really looking forward to the highlanders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stuart - yes I am keen to see how the finished highlanders look. Hopefully some of the better armoured ones will be able to double as gallowglass.

      Delete
  4. SUperb figures and presentation as usual...Eyecandy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I am enjoying building up this mid 16th century Scots army.

      Delete
  5. Fab work Oli. I'm really going to have to invest in some of Pete's Scots but I'm terrified of triggering a new project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Darrell, I would love to see you paint up some of these figures, I know Flodden is on your "to do" list!

      Delete
    2. I'm sure I'll get to it one day. I'm trying to focus on a few large projects I've got on the go at the mo'. I've got to be strict with myself or, as evidenced in the past, I can end up with so many projects on the go I've got zero chance of finishing any of them LOL

      Delete
  6. Cheers Tom - yes this range has been great for my 16th Century Scots collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspirational stuff as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John, hopefully they will be taking to the tabletop for some games next week.

      Delete