Sunday 3 June 2018

Gaelic Command Bases


My 16th Century Irish Army is pretty much finished until Michael Perry sculpts some cavalry as he mentioned on Facebook a while back. In the meantime I couldn't resist using some of the Perry Irish Command pack figures for a Chieftan's base. This was partly inspired by the image from Derrickes "The Image of Ireland" showing a Horseboy holding his Chieftan's steed. The Irish Standard Bearer from the Command pack cried out to be used for this and one of the Redoubt Irish horses is obviously modelled on this image. I missed a trick in not sculpting on the strap across the "cushion" style saddle in green stuff as in the print but otherwise I am really pleased with the composition of the base. The Priest is from the Perry Miniatures Crusades range.

I also had a couple of Claymore Castings figures left over who I have combined with a Perry Miniature and one from Old Glory to make another Command base that could be placed at the head of a Scots Highland or Western Isles unit or alternatively leading a force of Galloglass. I think the leader looks more suitable as a Scots Chieftan. I have quite a few Highland banners for Flodden so this base will be useful for my slowly growing early 16th Century Scots force. I am currently working on a unit of Border Horse for this army which hopefully will be finished soon.

Horseboy from John Derricke's "The Image of Ireland" 1581, this image served as inspiration for the Irish Command Base.
Irish Chieftan discussing tactics with his Kern Captain and Priest while one of his Horseboys holds his horse.

Highland or Western Isles Command Base, the standard is for the MacLeans of Duart who would have fought under the Earl of Argyle at Flodden. This base could equally be used for a Galloglass unit with a different flag.

20 comments:

  1. Nice work on those, just doing some of those very figures myself! Love your composition with the horse holder.
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon - I saw your Irish figures on the Lead Adventure Forum (where I am a bit of a lurker!), they are superb. I am looking forward to seeing you do some Galloglass

      Delete
  2. Your command vignette with horse and holder is terrific. A lot of interesting discussions are going on in that little group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to think that maybe the Gaelic Priests is discouraging bloodshed - but this being the 16th Century that is unlikely!

      Delete
  3. I love the wonderful first vignette, evocative and superb...Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pair of command bases!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent command bases. Very Nice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning command, Oli! Love the coat lining on the horse holder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean - they are great figures to paint

      Delete
  7. Excellent work as ever Oli, there’s real character in those vignettes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stuart - I am sure they will see action at some point. Not too far off from finishing the next 12 Border Horse either.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful! I really like how you used various figures to come up with the bases' overall composition. A lovely pair of vignettes and a great addition to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt, some more Irish have just been released by the Perrys so there will be more to come for the Irish army!

      Delete