Todays post shows a work in progress rather than a finished unit. Not content with producing excellent flags for wargames armies of the 16th century Pete, of Petes Flags, has recently released some superb 28mm Highlanders for his Renaissance Scottish range. I wanted to show them here before they are based up. The figures are sold as "Scots Highlanders" but the majority of them would be just a suitable as either kern or galloglass for 16th century Irish armies.
At present there are two packs of highlanders and they available here: https://www.petesflags.com/miniature-range/28mm-Renaissance-Scottish-c194017753/. The first four images below show the figure composition of each of the two packs. The only change I have made to the figures is to replace the cast on javelins that one of them was holding with wire javelins instead. Other painted units from Pete's Scots Renaissance range can be found in these posts; https://camisado1500s.blogspot.com/2022/12/scots-arquebusiers.html, https://camisado1500s.blogspot.com/2022/05/borderers-with-polearms.html and https://camisado1500s.blogspot.com/2022/02/scots-pike.html.
At present there are two packs of highlanders and they available here: https://www.petesflags.com/miniature-range/28mm-Renaissance-Scottish-c194017753/. The first four images below show the figure composition of each of the two packs. The only change I have made to the figures is to replace the cast on javelins that one of them was holding with wire javelins instead. Other painted units from Pete's Scots Renaissance range can be found in these posts; https://camisado1500s.blogspot.com/2022/12/scots-arquebusiers.html, https://camisado1500s.blogspot.com/2022/05/borderers-with-polearms.html and https://camisado1500s.blogspot.com/2022/02/scots-pike.html.
The reason I have not yet based them up is that there is a third pack on the way, and I am keen to paint the figures from this third set before I decide how to base them. What I will probably do is split the figures so that those who could be kern or lesser armed highlanders are based together, those that could be galloglass or well armed highlanders are together with possibly a command base as well. I haven't decided yet.
These are beautiful figures and if you have a look at the contemporary images from my previous posts of kern and galloglass, https://camisado1500s.blogspot.com/2018/01/of-kerns-and-gallowglasses-is-supplied.html and Scots "Redshanks", https://camisado1500s.blogspot.com/2018/03/redshanks.html, you will be able to see how much attention to detail has been paid to these images as the figures have clearly taken lots of inspiration from them.
![]() |
| Pack 1 of Petes Flags 28mm Highlanders. |
![]() |
| A view of pack 1 from the back. |
![]() |
| Pack 2 of Petes Flags 28mm Highlanders. |
![]() |
| A view of pack 2 from the back. |
A particular detail that I don't think has been shown on any Irish or Scots islemen or highland miniatures before is the fully fringed scabbards that were popular amongst these troops. Often brightly coloured they were a distinctive feature of both the Scots and Irish. The first image below shows a highlander carrying one such sword whilst the second shows a kern with one. If you have a look at my previous post of the Irish of this era, https://camisado1500s.blogspot.com/2018/01/of-kerns-and-gallowglasses-is-supplied.html, there are more contemporary images that show these scabbards.
The final image shows all twenty four figures together. I have another set of each of the packs to complete as well as some of the new Gaelic Irish from Antediluvian Miniatures. Of course once these are done suitable scenarios will have to be written to give them an outing on the tabletop. Knockdoe in 1504 and Knockavoe in 1522 are the first two clashes that spring to mind.
The final image shows all twenty four figures together. I have another set of each of the packs to complete as well as some of the new Gaelic Irish from Antediluvian Miniatures. Of course once these are done suitable scenarios will have to be written to give them an outing on the tabletop. Knockdoe in 1504 and Knockavoe in 1522 are the first two clashes that spring to mind.
![]() |
| French image of a Highland "Captain", François Desprez, 1562, note the fringed scabbard of the large sword he is carrying. |
![]() |
| Irish from the Códice De Trajes c.1547. Note the fringed scabbard being carried by the Kern with the Javelin or "Dart". |
![]() |
| The distinctive fringed scabbards. |
![]() |
| 28mm Gaelic Warriors from Petes Flags. |






%20C%C3%B3dice-De-Trajes%20c.1547.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment